"Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life"- Charlotte Mason


Friday, August 20, 2010

Our first week of homeschooling


We have officially completed our first week of homeschooling.  It has been a journey so far.  I started out simple this week to get into the groove of learning at home.  I have come to a conclusion that children are always learning whether it be while walking through the grocery store, driving in the car, playing at the park, or just being at home.  I think that children learn the most just by watching, listening, and "doing" so I figure I will give the girls a lot of opportunities to just do these things.  We will do many activities to stimulate the girls while learning in their own way and at their own pace (lots of hands on).     

I have debated about whether I have made the right decision to keep the girls at home.  After reading many books about homeschooling, skimming the internet, and listening to my heart I now know that I have made a great decision.  I really feel that I will be able to give the girls a great education without having to worry about their safety and how they will be treated by other children.  Who knows they may even get a better education through me than they may get out of public school.

This week we have been reading A LOT!  Both of the girls love to read.  We have done addition facts using manipulatives.  We wrote in our journals everyday.  The girls made an All About Me lapbook which contains things like their family tree, what makes them happy/sad/curious/mad, their pictures, their best day ever, etc.  The girls created parking garages for their toy cars with blocks.  We took our first field trip to a state park.  This was probably the experience where the girls learned the most.  We fed ducks, ate a picnic under a weeping willow tree, looked at fish from a bridge, painted a nature scene, examined a cactus, and even got chased by a grumpy goose who was protecting his mate!  LOL!  The girls loved it!  We have kept very busy!   







 I know that our schedule isn't perfect yet and we will have our ups and downs.  We are still trying to figure out what is best for us.  Each girl learns differently.  It may take a couple of weeks to figure out what works.  I am excited for a year full of learning!  I am glad that we get this opportunity!

3 comments:

  1. Sharee - I love the new blog. Looks like you girls had a first great week of school. I am proud of you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only are you a GREAT mom, you will be a fabulous teacher to your two beautiful girls! Love you! Kassi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharee, I'm so glad you made the decision to home school the girls. You will be the best teacher they could ever have. The girls look so happy. Love you, Grandma Diesel

    ReplyDelete