"Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life"- Charlotte Mason


Friday, October 8, 2010

The girls learned about the long vowel sounds, the human body, Africa, how to add and subtract 3 numbers, and we started to read Polyanna.  It was a good week, though sometimes I have my doubts.

We learned about Albert Einstein this week.  He was a fascinating man. As a boy he hated school and didn't do well in it.  His teachers told him he would never go anywhere in life.  His passions where making towers from playing cards, compasses, and Math.  He ended up teaching himself Math from a book that was given to him.  He went on in life being one of the most intelligent men of all times.  He was a genius.  He was awarded The Nobel Peace Prize.  He sure showed his teachers, didn't he? :)  I was amazed with him and his story.  In a way, it helped me to see that maybe I am doing a better job with the girls than I give myself credit for.

After reading about Einstein and his card towers, we tried to make one of our own.  We didn't get very far with it.  My guess is it was because of the little hands and knees that kept knocking it down!  We also played Dominoes.


Mackenzie has started to read to Lorel.  It is a win /win situation.  Mackenzie practices reading while Lorel gets to hear a story!  It also gives me a little break to clean and cook.


The girls used pipe cleaner to make little pencil toppers.  Mackenzie thought of this little creative activity all on her own! 

Lorel alphabetized the magnet letters on the fridge.  She did really well!  I try to think of little activities like this all day long that are fun and promote learning. 
The girls have been helping me make their Halloween costumes.  They are going to be great!  Can't wait for everyone to see them!

1 comment:

  1. I've been waiting! I am so excited to see the girls costumes...I was wondering what you were going to do. Are you making them? I am fascinated with Albert Einstein myself! I am so glad the girls have a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete