"Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life"- Charlotte Mason


Friday, November 5, 2010

Poor Mackenzie! :(

Last Saturday was an eventful day! Mackenzie was carving a pumpkin and cut her pinky finger close to the palm of her hand.  It was pretty deep so we took her to the emergency room.  They cleaned it well and then glued it shut.  We were lucky... NO stitches!  Her finger is doing much better now.  She still can't bend it because it hurts and it is swollen.




Sunday, Chad had to go back to work at about 4 PM.   I decided not to take the girls trick or treating without him here.  I didn't want to be out alone after dark.  We had already went to the safe trick or treat at all the local shops around downtown Hobbs anyway.  Instead we had a little Halloween party at home.  We got a pinata(couldn't find a Halloween one), did a few Halloween crafts, grilled out hamburgers, and ate cake.  We all had a very fun time.  After Chad left we watched some Halloween shows.





 The girls are doing really well in their schooling.  Lorel has started to read!!!!! :) YAY Lorel!  I have tried and tried with her but she just hasn't wanted to do it.  I know that she can because she knows the sound of every letter, she knows tons of sight words, and she knows how to blend the sounds.  She has just been stubborn.  But on the website that I found called Time 4 Learning they have little beginning reading books on there.  On Monday we sat down together and she started to read them.  I gave her A LOT of praise, maybe a little overboard!  Mackenzie and I even gave her a round of applause!  So that is a great HUGE step for her.  I guess I was worrying about her for nothing! I know she is very smart she just might be the type to only do things when SHE is ready!
The girls had fun on Tuesday writing with chalk outside.

Mackenzie has still been working memorizing her addition facts.  She is getting very good at addition with regrouping.  She learned about what a main idea of a picture or story is.  She is reading a Baby Sitter's Club book.  She learned this week about silent consonants such as k in knot and w in write.  She also learned three letter blends such as str, spr, spl, etc.  She is doing super and works very hard.  I am so proud of her!

  
This week the girls learned about what an archeologist is.  They then went in the back yard and dug up anything they could find.  They found some pretty interesting things!  They got really dirty!  They had fun!
We went to the park a couple of times.  We fed the ducks on Thursday.  We try to go visit them every couple of weeks.  They girls love the ducks and are always asking to go and feed them.  I think the ducks love us too!  We are constantly going to the library.  We read for an hour everyday whether it is me reading to the girls, silent reading, or Mackenzie reading to Lorel.  I really believe reading is the most important thing that a child needs to be strong in.  If a child isn't a strong reader, then they won't be a strong learner.  We love to read!

2 comments:

  1. I agree reading is where it is at. If they can read they can do anything! I am so sorry that MAckenzie cut her finger so badly - her pumpkin turned out GREAT though! HOORAY for Lorel! I can't wait to come and visit and hear both of the girls read. You are a wonderful teacher Sharee - keep up the good work! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Mom said you were worried that no one was reading your blog, but never fear :), I read it every week. I realized that you wouldn't have known that because I never comment. Sorry about that.
    If I remember correctly, I didn't really start reading until first grade, so I think Laurel is doing awesome! You're a great teacher and I love you so much. I hope we can see you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete