"Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life"- Charlotte Mason


Friday, September 24, 2010

No pictures this week : (

I don't have very many pictures this week.  Chad took the camera with him to work so the girls and I could see what he does out there.  The girls are always asking to see what he does so he said he would take some pictures.

We had a good week this week.  We have finally found our routine with events that we do every week.  Plus our studies.

Soccer practice is on Tuesday and Thursday with games on Saturday.  Mackenzie played her first game this last Saturday.  Her team got killed! LOL!  But, she had fun and that is all that matters.  She smiled the whole game.  I love watching her play.  Chad will be home this weekend so he will be able to see her game!  YAY!  Her team is one of the new teams this year so we need a lot of practice!  He coach has also never coached before.  On the days that she doesn't have practice we go across the road to an empty field and kick the ball around.  She gets better everyday!

Wednesday is their art lesson at the art center.  This week they learned about shading and lines.  They really like going.  They learn a lot.

Friday is story hour at the library.  This week was better than last!  It is a lot of fun!

This week we wrapped up studying Antarctica.  We watched March of the Penguin and 8 Below.  We also made an Antarctica lapbook.  I put some pictures of it here but I will explain what a lapbook is.  I found the idea online.  A lot of homeschooling families make them about subjects that they have learned about.  It is just basically a file folder with the two sides folded in together so it opens like french doors.  Then you fill it with pictures, facts, and pop-up windows about the subject you are studying.  We have done quite a few of them now.  The girls like doing them.  They are also a good way to showcase what we have been learning! : )

We started learning about Australia this week.  We learned about the aboriginals of Australia.  We learned about their music, instruments, dancing, and art.  We love the Didgeridoo.  I wish we could buy one!  They sound so neat!  We also learned about the land and water.  We will continue with Australia next week.

In Math, Mackenzie is learning how to carry while adding.  Lorel is learning simple addition using pictures.

This week we read Where the Wild Things Are.  We did many activities with this book.  Including a character web, the 5 w's (who, what, when, where, why), and we sequenced the events in the book.

We have had a pretty eventful week with some good days and one not so good day.  In order to get the girl's brain motivated one day we ran to the park and back.  Every so often the girls need a little motivation to get going! 

I had my first confrontation this week about our decision to homeschool.  It was with another mom on the soccer team.  She wasn't rude, but she did not agree with what I was doing.  I think she was questioning my ability to teach the girls (she also didn't know that I am a certified teacher either).  I expected this to happen at one point in time so I was fine with it.  I calmly told her we really enjoy it and that I feel the girls are learning plenty.  I guess she can have her way and we can have ours.  That is the great thing about this country, freedom of choice!  

3 comments:

  1. Don't let that mom bother you...you are doing a fantastic job. She has no idea. I love that you had recess (running to the park) this week! I am sure that the girls need a break. In school when I sub the younger kids get two recesses a day and lunch recess. I missed the pictures but I understand that you girls want to see what Chad is doing - so do I! Love you all.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I love the pictures of Mackenzie playing soccer. I remember those days with you! That green uniform is nice!
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fun filled week! I think you are doing awesome Sharee! When I read all the activities you do with the girls I wonder where in the world do you find so much time?!?! Very impressive I must say. We sure miss you guys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete